1100 Bourbon Street l Thibodaux, LA 70301 l (985) 446-0487 l (985) 446-0480 Fax l Email email@example.com
St. Luke's beginnings started in 1922 when Father Joseph an Baast, S.S.J. and Msgr. A.M. Barbier asked Mother Katherine Drexel to visit Thibodaux. She was shown property that they wanted on Bourbon St. to begin St. Luke Parish. Mother Katherine donated $4,000 to build the church and school.
In October of 1923, St. Luke School was opened with 42 students and two Xavier graduates as teachers. The Church was also built and opened in 1923, but not dedicated until early the following year. St. Luke's present church was built in 1951 with financial assistance of the donation of land from Mr. Nicholas Huth. The gymnasium was built in 1949 while Father Ortner S.S.J. was pastor. The gym served as the center of the black community of Thibodaux.
The parish of St. Luke was closed in the summer of 1967, thus from 1967-1986, the parish building was closed for usage as a place to celebrate the Eucharist. In 1984 Bishop Warren L. Boudreaux had the Josephites conduct a survey of Houma-Thibodaux and give him a report on the status of African-American Catholics in the diocese. This report resulted in the reopening of St. Luke in October 1985 with the First Feast Day celebration being held at St. Joseph Life Center and Sunday Mass being held in the St. Luke gym thereafter. Then in the spring of 1986, the Josephite priests from St. Augustine in New Orleans arrived and began conducting Mass in the church. The Josephites (especially Father Tyne) served faithfully until 1996, when the priests were recalled.
In 1996, St. Luke began parish linkage with St. Joseph Co-Cathedral under Msgr. Francis Amedee. It was at this time Sister Nancy McNemar S..S.N.D. was hired as the Pastoral Associate for St. Luke. Sister Nancy was the driving force behind the renovation of the gym and the spiritual evangelization of the area surrounding the church and the gym from 1996-2002.
In 1999, Father Oscar Solis began his tenure as Pastor of both churches until June of 2002.
In June 2002, St. Luke became linked with St. Genevieve with Very Rev. Wilmer Todd as Pastor of both churches. In July 2005, Rev. Joe Varghese joined as Associate Pastor. In August of 2002 until June of 2006 served as Pastoral Associate, Sister Terry Falco,
In June of 2007, Fr. Mark Toups became Pastor of both St. Luke. In January of 2009, Christine Streams became Pastoral Associate of St. Luke. In January of 2010, Deacon Martin was assigned. In July, 2013, Rev. Mitch was assigned Associate Pastor of St. Luke, and July 2014 Rev. Mitch was assigned Pastor. In July 2015, Rev. Carl Diederich was assigned Associate Pastor.